Thursday, September 12, 2013

Finnish Culture part 2

   I forgot to write some other Finnish cultural stuff, so I am adding it here. :)

 One of the things that struck me as odd is that the elderly here don't ACT elderly. At least a not that I have seen. You know those marathons, the ones people do for fun to say "I ran 5k!" or whatever? Well, a few weeks ago Jacob and I were taking a walk and a marathon was going on, so we stopped and watched for a bit. And immediately I noticed I saw quite a few elderly men and women, I mean like late 70's, one looked like he must have been in his 80's! I was shocked! I have never seen that in my life. I am used to seeing people who are that age sitting around playing Bingo, and complaining about their numerous joint pains. OR those who say they have put in the time and energy into life, and now deserve to relax, AKA, retire. From everything! Which I am not saying is wrong. I probably will be the same way. But here the attitude is "why should I sit around doing nothing? I can do what I did when I was in my 20's!" and they do! I have also seen many jogging, or carrying large and heavy grocery bags, as if it were light!  The culture here is one of never giving up!

On the flip side, one of the main things Finland is known for are the bars, and drunks. About a block away from the apartment we are using is a bar (since there is one on almost every block!) and on the weekends they are packed by 10:00- AM!! Across from the Shul is, surprise, surprise, another bar.  Jacob said that while he is waiting by the Shul (Synagogue) for someone to open the doors, the bar has a line of its own, waiting for doors to open. The time? 9:00 AM! It is not uncommon to see a drunk guy on the corner of the street or a group of teenagers, plastered, in the early mornings. The legal drinking age here is 18, and therefore the collage students are known for partying, getting drunk, etc. Jacob and his brothers were once turned down for an apartment just on the pure basis of the owner knowing they were collage students!

All in all though, Finland is a good place! :)

Till next time!

Naomi Chava

1 Comments:

At September 12, 2013 at 7:13 AM , Blogger Amelia613 said...

How nice it must be to be around such polite people, but I wonder - are they still so polite when they are drunk or are they so polite because all that alcohol has ruined enough brain cells they don't know how to be rude? 8-)

Can't wait for the next installment.

G'mar Chasima Tovah to you and Jacob and wishes for an easy and meaningful fast!

Amelia

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home