Monday, September 9, 2013

First Post :)

So, I know its been a long time coming, but my blog is FINALLY up! :D To start off with, a lot of people ask me, "where is Finland?" so, I included a map of Finland and the surrounding area. :) Another question I get a lot s, "there are Jews in Finland?" Which is one of the reasons for this blog. Yes! There ARE Jews in Finland! And for the next year I am going to be ne of them! :)



This blog is going to be about my experience, my feelings and interpretation of life in Finland, and life of Finnish Jews today. (again, from MY perspective.) Today's post will be a brief history of life as Jews in Finland. When they First came, etc...
 
    It is known that the first individual Jews came at the end of the 1700's, but didn't start permanently settle till the mid-1800's when Jewish soldiers from Russia were granted permission to stay. However, lack of civil rights, threat of expulsion, and many restrictions on jobs and studying made life hard for the Jews at that time. Even so, the Jews clung tightly to their beliefs and traditions. 

    The Jewish community organized quickly, and the community's proper is considered to date from the mid- 1800's. religious affairs, as well as children's education, elderly care, the sick and poor, and burial of the dead were handled by the community. When Finland became independent in 1917 life for the Jews became a lot better. Even so, they maintained their own aid and charity organizations, Jewish education for children, and elderly care, which are still in practice today. The synagogue has also been preserved, and is still in use today, located in the center of Helsinki.
INFO FROM THE BOOK: LeCHAIM!.

                                                    A FEW PICTURES OF THE SYNOGOGUE:
                                                (The paint is the original color, and seats are original)

              
        Outside of Synagogue.
 
 
                 
     Men's section
 
 
                                            
                                          Overview: Men's section on bottom, Women's section on top.


Today, we have two Rabbi's here. One is the community Rabbi, Rabbi Shimon Livson, and the other is the Chabad Rabbi, Rabbi Benyamin Wolff. (Both of whom are excellent.) Most of the Jews live in downtown Helsinki, Others farther away. There are many different levels of observance amongst the congregation, but the Synagogue, (or Shul), is considered Orthodox. We have one Kosher store which is quite pricey. especially (the meats) since it is imported. Shechting, or slaughtering of the animal in a specific way which renders it Kosher, is not allowed here. So the Kosher meat has to be imported to us. So, unlike in the states where the meat is more affordable, most of the Jews here only buy meat for the Chagim (Holidays) or Shabbos (Sabbath.) The salmon here is pretty cheap while in season, so that is what people will buy mostly. The other thing that is hard to get here is Kosher cheese. Mainly the had cheeses like cheddar and mozzarella. (which I admit is the thing I miss the most!) Which is why as soon as I find Kosher rennet here, I will be making my own cheese! :)

That being said, you get to become quite clever in cooking when you have to be. ESPECIALLY since right now Jacob (my husband) and I are staying in an apartment that not have an oven, only a stove top. talk about roughing it! ;) )

So, that's it for my first post. I will hopefully post again soon! :)

Till next time,
   Naomi Chava Eskin

4 Comments:

At September 9, 2013 at 10:38 AM , Blogger Ahuvah said...

Hi Naomi Chava! So nice of you to keep us all up to date on life in Finland! I would be interested in hearing what traditional Finnish recipes you come across this year. Share some if you can, and I'll be able to share some authentic Finnish cuisine with the kids:) I also had a makeshift kitchen for a while.(11 months to be exact) It's quite amazing how we got by with a single plug-in burner, a crock pot and a toaster oven. I could make pretty much everything. We even were able to entertain families for Shabbat. It's a great lesson in resourcefulness and recognizing the difference between wants and needs. We really can get by with much less when we have to,cant we?
Shana Tova, and Hatslacha in the coming year,
Ahuvah Tebbitt

 
At September 9, 2013 at 11:43 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

THANKS AHUVA!! So far I can only think of 2 Finnish recipes. one is fish soup, the other is gravlax. I can get you the recipes if you are interested. ALSO, my mother-in-law has been telling me about this pastry that has rice and sugar and stuff that's very unique. when I make it with her, and its good, I can post the recipe :)

YEAH! Cooking on very little recourses definitely has been an eye opener! Its AMAZING!! :)

Thanks for reading!! cant wait to hear from you again! I miss you all so much! And Jacob talks about your family all the time! :)

Love,
Naomi Chava

 
At September 10, 2013 at 5:19 AM , Blogger Amelia613 said...

What a beautiful shul! Basya wants to know if you were in your shul right now.

We are looking forward to hearing more about your new life.

Love,
The Schmidts

 
At September 10, 2013 at 6:41 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

It really is stunning!! :) No, tell Basya I'm not in the shul now. :) I will go on Shabbos :)

Love,
Naomi Chava

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home